& the slipper still fits

5 things to get you Spring-cited #1


After my pathetic rant about a listless New Years, and after a good 2-3 inches of snow fell here in the east, I thought the only way to excite myself for warmer - at least more sunny - weather is to talk about all the things that remind me of spring. And first on this list of top 5 - Florence + the Machine.

I discovered Florence last Spring -- about 6 months after everyone else as I do with most things -- and since then have had her albums on my go-to playlists; Howl is my top played itunes song with 160 plays, just in case you're wondering. There's just something about Lungs that I can't get out of my head. The songs embody spring with rose colored glasses; or they just reminded me of the California sun in a 1970's picture.

While I haven't found as deep a devotion for her new album Ceremonials as of yet, I blame that on having no time to listen to it, and even less time to blast it in the car. Unfortunately (but completely okay with me), this means all my song choices and recommendations are from Lungs.If you want to listen to the songs featured, you can hear them over here.

Listen to Raise it Up if - Every time I hear Rise it Up I think Greek mythology and early morning sunlight. It's normally my go-to first song in the car on the morning drive.

Listen to Howl if - Do you have a warewolf thing? Then this is your song. Trust me, vampires don't have an anthem like this, and they never will. And the reference to classic Wolfman? Priceless.

Listen to Drumming song if - Borgias fans - this is your song. More specifically, Cesare and Lucrezia OTPers I dare you to listen and not have an entire plot line develop in front of you. Go on. I dared you. I'll wait till you're done. ... ... ... I was right, wasn't I? 

Listen to Cosmic Love/Binding if - These are completely meant to be apart of the 'Once Upon A Time' inspired-by soundtrack. Just saying. These two certainly rival each other to be my favorite Florence song and often, I simply refuse to pick my favorite.

Listen to My Boy Builds Coffins/I'm Not Calling You a Liar if - You know that saying "Sweet; creepy, but sweet"? They were talking about these songs. Indulge your slightly morbid song tendencies with these two selections. They really are sweet...creepy, but sweet. 

“I want my music to sound like throwing yourself out of a tree, or off a tall building, or as if you’re being sucked down into the ocean and you can’t breathe,...It’s something overwhelming and all-encompassing that fills you up, and you’re either going to explode with it, or you’re just going to disappear.” -Florence Welch